Project 2: Part 8 – Prototype

David compiled a detailed report on how some of the competitors were doing the booking process. The main findings were that overall Ryanair’s was probably the best but there were elements of the others that were strong too. Aircoach had nice a UI with the timetables. Aerlingus had a nice flow for the booking process, however when it came to inputting payment this could have been improved. The mobile version of Bus Eireann especially the booking process was clear and flowed well, however it lagged when it came to inputting  payment details. CityLink was the only service that allowed you to pay with PayPal, but again the UX was pretty poor. Aside from Ryanair the Greyhound and Lufthansa apps were also quite strong overall in comparison to the rest.

We decided to move quickly onto the prototyping stage and assign each person an area to work on over the Christmas break. Generating lo-fidelity mock-ups and then discussing them in early January aiming for a more refined prototype for class when we returned on the 12th. There were 3 main areas: (1) booking/payment process (2) timetables access and viewing (3) Gobus ticket management.

With the Jack’s goal of making the booking procedure more efficient I set out to develop the flow for the booking procedure. I did the flow from the initial greeting screen, entering as a guest and up to the point of purchase.

The main concern was to lessen the time it took to make a booking and giving feedback to the user as they booked their ticket while also making sure that the did not get lost within the interface.

Merging these concerns lead to the idea of trying to keep everything to a “home screen” where the user would fill in the appropriate fields of data necessary for booking a ticket.

A major issue I felt was that if he made a mistake he would have to start the process all over again, so if as much info as possible could be displayed on the home screen then and without looking cramped, then he would be able to edit there and then and continue on with ease.

iteration-1-b

Once the screen concepts were developed I built up a more precise interface in Balsamiqu. The finalised screens were then exported as PNG files and imported into Invision were I added the interactions.

David produced a complete flow for the GoBus app which was produced the same way through Balsamiq and then Invision. The team went through both of the prototypes in the January 12th class with Stef and Andrew. And from there we can begin iteration with the aim of performing a user test before the next class on the January 19th.

iteration-1-a

Each team member would do a user test with the two prototypes. If possible we would use the same people that we did our interviews on, this would at a validity to the test as being done with he same person thought. David’s prototype was the most complete so that version would be Iteration A and mine Iteration B.

A user test script was developed, incorporating the tasks used from the interview script. This way we would all be using the same script and the tests would be consistent and the result measurable against each other.

We would be testing in 4 areas of the app:
1. Making a Booking (Iteration B would just be on the booking task)
2. Managing your ticket
3. Bus Timetables
4. Viewing live Times

The results for each test were then transcribed into a word doc and added to Slack and Google Drive for analysis. I did my test with Derek.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s